ENGINEERS & ARCHITECTS
active in the Thessaloniki Burned Area
Avdis & Athanasios Tachtatzis Brothers
Athanasios Tachtatzis and the brothers Emilios and Faidros Avdis were all civil engineers who studied in Switzerland. Athanasios Tachtatzis and Faidros Avdis graduated from Lausanne’s Université Ecole d' Ingénieurs (Section de Sciences Techniques) in 1912, while Emilios Avdis received his diploma in 1906 from Zurich’s Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule.
From 1907 to 1909, Emilios Avdis worked in Egypt as an engineer with "The Menzaleh Canal Co" and "The Egyptian Swiss Iron Works". From 1910 until 1918 he worked as an engineer for the construction of Bagdad’s railway. From 1919 until 1921 he worked for Smyrna’s High Commission for the housing of refugees.
Faidros Avdis worked on military technical projects from 1912 until 1919. During that period, Athanasios Tachtatzis initially worked as an engineer for the Dresden-based "Wayss Freytag" and then for the "V. Bekiaris & Co.” contracting companies. In 1919 they founded the Technical Firm “Faidros Avdis and Athanasios Tachtatzis”.
In 1922, Aimilios Avdis joined as a partner, and the company was renamed “Avdis Brothers and Athanasios Tachtatzis”. The company was active in various fields, including design, public works, construction and road building.
The company’s office was located at 2 Rogoti Str.