ENGINEERS & ARCHITECTS
active in the Thessaloniki Burned Area
Xenophon Paionidis was born in 1863 in the village of Fourka in Chalkidiki. His family originated from the town of Edessa. He received his diploma from the National Metsovian Technical University and continued his studies at the Munich Polytechnic. He settled in Thessaloniki in 1892. His first two works, both completed by 1905, were the Papafeio Orphanage and the Agios Dimitrios Hospital. His later works include the Ioannidis Civil School at the Hippodrome, the Analipsi Civil School, the mansion of doctor Ioannis Nedelkos in Egnatia Str., and Stoa Pelosov in Tsimiski Street. His works in Exoches, an area of Thessaloniki, are the Chatzilazarou Mansion, the Hasan Prishtina residence (today housing the Thessaloniki School for the Blind), Villa Mordoch, and the villa of Jewish lawyer Emmanuel Raphael Salem, which used to house the Italian Consulate. He died in May 1933.